(photo courtesy of Marvel at Words)
Opinions- they’re grand things. And dangerous things, sometimes, especially when it comes to fan favorite books. I tend to shy away from expressing unpopular opinions on my blog (seeing as I’m not on it as often as I used to be, it’s not a good platform for dialogue and debate). But in this case, I’m running toward it, arms wide open.
1. A Popular Book or series that you didn’t like.
The Shatter Me series. I DNFed the book so hard it nearly shattered windows.
2. A Popular Book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love.
The Wicked Years series (about Oz) by Gregory Maguire. They’re delightfully strange and filled with heavy-handed social commentary, but I actually feel compelled to learn abut the characters.
3. A Love Triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with (warn ppl for spoilers) OR an OTP that you don’t like.
Tessa Grey should have ended up with Jem. Search your heart, you know it to be true.
4. A popular book Genre that you hardly reach for.
Romance. Most of the time I find the characters shallow and the romance predictable and pointless. Also, sex in books usually makes me roll my eyes.
5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.
Ginny Weasley. There, I’ve said it. I never understood her and Harry getting married, unless they’re just too broken from their childhood experiences to make it work with anyone else. Which is sad, but she’s still a cold fish character to me.
6. A popular author that you can’t seem to get into.
7. A popular book trope that you’re tired of seeing. (examples “lost princess”, corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc.)
Love triangles (unless the protagonist takes the option of c. None of the above); m/f friendships that result in romantic relationships as if there’s no alternative (i.e. men and women can’t be friends); “tough girl” who is an athletic/fighter tomboy because of course toughness only happens with physical tenacity; post-apocalyptic settings that are more Detroit than end of the world; the Chosen One.
8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
The Selection series, the books in the Shadowhunter series past the first three, the Twilight series, anything by E.L. James….there’s a list.
9. The saying goes “The book is always better than the movie”, but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
Dexter. And The 100. And Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Modern pacing- I dig it.
Many thanks the The Book Archer for this tag, which is fun and will probably prompt some raised eyebrows (or scowls) in the comments. 😉
I’m a coffee-fueled, hobby-addicted bibliophage who makes cruelty-free mineral eye shadows (inspired by novels). I’m usually in front of a screen (writing, reading, or gaming), but I’ve been known to emerge for geekery, good food, and dark chocolate.