This Thai Fried Rice recipe comes courtesy of my oldest brother (the amazing chef, scifi nerd and my primary TV recommender). It’s a great use for leftover rice, especially if you also have some veg and leftover meat (you can add more veg to this than it calls for).
2 Tbsp fish sauce
3 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp sugar
1/3 C. peanut or corn oil
1 serrano pepper, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 lb. meat (I used diced, leftover ham this time)
red bell pepper, sliced
green bell pepper, sliced
half an onion, sliced
2 c. cooked, cooled jasmine rice
A few Thai basil leaves
1. Mix fish sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large non stick skillet with high sides, over med-high heat. When oil is at temperature, add minced serranos and garlic. Cook for one minute, stirring frequently.
3. Add meat, cook until no longer visibly pink (or just heated through, if it’s pre-cooked).
4. Add remaining vegetables and sauce mix; cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Turn heat to maximum and add cooled rice to pan. Stir constantly until the liquid is almost completely absorbed.
6. Remove from heat, add basil leaves, stir and serve hot.