If you’ve been to the UK (or to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter), you know about Sticky Toffee Pudding. This saucy cake is delicious, sweet, and best served warm with a dollop of whipped cream on a cold winter’s night. It’s the ultimate indulgence and, surprisingly, it’s not that difficult to make. It’s a great way to use any dates on hand, as well!
Ingredients for cake:
1 cup strong coffee (espresso roast, if you can)
8 oz. dates, pitted and chopped
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
3 cups flour
Ingredients for sauce:
1 cup butter
2 3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Soak the dates in the strong coffee, adding the baking soda. Let sit while you prepare the rest (at least 15 minutes).
3. Cream together butter and sugar.
4. Beat the eggs in, one at a time.
5. Fold in the flour (you may have to manually add that final cup, as it’s very stiff).
6. Add the date/coffee/soda mixture and cream together.
7. Pour into a greased 9″ x 13″ pan.
8. Bake for 40 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and poke holes in the cake.
10. In a saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients and gently bring to a boil, stirring to combine.
11. Pour half the sauce over the holey cake, then return cake to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes more.
12. Remove, let cool for 10 minutes, then slice into 3″ squares and serve with a drizzle of the remaining sauce.
For the record, Fedora (who isn’t a dessert kind of guy) LOVED this and requested more. He also brought some in to work, and when I visited him there the next day you’d think I was Queen of Sheba. So if you want to win friends and seduce lovers, this cake may be the key.