Sometimes, we don’t want to spend 2 hours making dinner on a weeknight (or else we’d be eating dinner at 8 or 9pm). So we buy a large something, like a roast or a ham, and we cook it once and then use the leftover meat as an ingredient in other dishes. This recipe came out of having a lot of leftover cooked ham.
Some ham, or any leftover cooked meat, diced up
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
Some garlic salt
Some veg (we used chopped bell pepper and chopped broccoli)
1 cup shredded cheese
1. Spray a 9″ x 9″ casserole dish with nonstick grease of choice.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, and milk until combined.
4. Add dill, garlic salt, and any other desired seasonings into egg mixture and stir until evenly distributed.
5. Put diced meat in a layer on bottom of casserole dish.
6. Layer veg over the meat (you’ll have to eyeball how much you can add without overflowing the sides of the dish.
7. Fold the shredded cheese into the egg mixture, then pour it over the veg and meat on the dish, making sure it covers everything (if you have way more veg/meat than egg mixture, whisk up two more eggs with 1/2 cup milk and add that).
8. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes.
9. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes to set up, then serve warm. It also makes for delicious leftovers.
I love how malleable this recipe is- you can edit the veg and meat amounts as needed, you can use whatever kind of cheese you want, you can even sub something else for the dill (like oregano, or marjoram- I do recommend a green herb, for flavor), you can add other seasonings (like smoked paprika, or Sriracha), etc. And it’s so easy!