Are you sick of pumpkin everything yet? I’m not a huge fan of nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon (aka “pumpkin spice”, because pumpkin has little to no flavor on its own). And I downright dislike pumpkin pie. But this breakfast smoothie is delicious and filling AND contains a vegetable. So there.
Plus, you can make a batch of 4 up ahead of time and keep it in the fridge, so you only have to exert minimum effort in the morning.
Ingredients (for 4 smoothies)
- 2 cups milk (cow, goat, almond, soy, etc- I used vanilla-flavored coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 Tblsp flax seeds
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 Tblsp agave sweetener or molasses or yacon syrup or maple syrup
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 frozen bananas (peel before freezing)
- Whisk together milk, rolled oats, and flax seeds and let sit in the fridge for 3+ hours.
- Into that, mix pumpkin, liquid sweetener, and spices.
- In the morning, pour 1/3 of this mixture into a blender.
- Add a peeled frozen banana.
- Blend until smooth. If desired, add more sweetener.
I’m a coffee-fueled, hobby-addicted bibliophage who makes cruelty-free mineral eye shadows (inspired by novels). I’m usually in front of a screen (writing, reading, or gaming), but I’ve been known to emerge for geekery, good food, and dark chocolate.