As someone with chronically dry skin and a dislike of heavily-scented lotions, I’ve been wanting to make my own moisturizer for a while. Thank goodness for interest! I was inspired by this recipe here. I made a few changes, based on what I had on hand. Note that you can use any essential oil (I chose Sweet Orange, because it’s a happy scent) and you can use (or not) a food-safe/skin-safe coloring agent…but only in small quantity, or the recipe becomes too liquid.
- 120 grams or 4 1/4 ounces coconut oil
- 6 grams or 1/4 ounce cornstarch
- 10 drops essential oil
- Place the coconut oil and cornstarch in a glass container.
- Place the glass container in a pan of simmer water, double-broiler style, until the coconut oil is melted.
- Whisk the ingredients together until thoroughly combined, and let them cool to room temperature.
- Add the essential oil (and any applicable skin-safe coloring agent) and whisk until fluffy/looks like frosting.
- Spoon the cooled/fluffy mixture into a container.
- Keep the body butter around 70 degrees or less (you may have to refrigerate it) and use within 3 months or so.
You can use body butter on any body part that needs moisture, though I prefer it on my legs (it’s an oil-based moisturizer, so it may make your hands slick, but it absorbs relatively quickly!)