This breakfast bread has it all: cinnamon, cardamom, applesauce, whole wheat flour, and a crumbly nutty topping. A sliced piece, toasted with a bit of butter, is simply heaven.
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 Tblsp honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup applesauce
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/8 cup pepitas (optional)
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tblsp cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom in a bowl.
- In a separate container, cream brown sugar and softened butter together.
- Add honey and mix until combined.
- Add egg and mix until combined.
- Add applesauce and mix until combined.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Put in a greased 9″ bread pan.
- In bowl, combine all topping ingredients and mix by hand until they have the texture of wet sand.
- Put topping onto dough, patting lightly to set it.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Let cool before cutting.
P.S. The topping is also very nummy on oatmeal.
I’m a coffee-fueled, hobby-addicted bibliophage who makes cruelty-free mineral eye shadows (inspired by novels). I’m usually in front of a screen (writing, reading, or gaming), but I’ve been known to emerge for geekery, good food, and dark chocolate.